Financial aid is available for eligible students. Students seeking financial aid during the fall must submit the 2022-2023 FASFA to determine aid eligibility for Fall 2022.
Students seeking financial aid during the summer must enroll in 6 units or more and submit both the 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 FAFSA to determine aid eligibility for Summer 2022 and Fall 2022.
Visit Financial Aid and Scholarships for additional details. You also can get an estimate of how much financial aid you might receive.
Apply for Financial Aid
When completing the FAFSA, make sure you enter UC Berkeley's Federal School Code on the application: 001312. Be sure you are using your and your parent(s) 2021 tax information for the application. We strongly encourage families to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to ensure the accuracy of your application information.
- You will complete two separate Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) forms online: 2021-2022 FAFSA for the summer term and 2022-2023 FAFSA for the fall term. Be sure you are using your and your parent(s) 2019 tax information for both applications.
- Complete the 2021-2022 FAFSA no later than June 1, 2022. Completing the FAFSA, along with your summer enrollment, allows the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office to determine your aid eligibility for the summer term on the UC Berkeley campus.
- Enroll in a minimum of six units for summer. You will be enrolled in two required courses during the registration process for Global Edge.
- Login to CalCentral (CalNet ID required) two to three business days after you are enrolled in your courses. Under My Finances, select 2021-22 from the drop-down menu under Financial Aid and Scholarships and click View Awards.
- Review your Communications and Tasks to ensure that we have received your 2021-2022 FAFSA and that you have submitted all required documents.
- You can also review your financial aid awards and Cost of Attendance for summer on this page as well.
- Complete the 2022-2023 FAFSA as soon as possible. Completing the FAFSA allows the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office to determine your aid eligibility for fall semester in Global Edge as well as spring semester on the UC Berkeley campus. Most entering students will have already completed this step.
View Your Awards
Financial aid is available for eligible students. Visit Financial Aid for additional details.
You can view your aid package by doing the following:
- Login to CalCentral (CalNet ID required) and click on the My Finances tab.
- Select 2021-2022 from the drop-down menu under Financial Aid and Scholarships and click View Awards.
- Your financial aid awards will appear on the right-hand side of the screen if you have been offered aid.
You will be awarded summer financial aid 2-3 business days after being enrolled in your summer courses if you meet all other summer aid eligibility requirements. Summer financial aid differs from the academic year and is based on the actual number of units enrolled for summer. Your financial aid package will depend on your financial need, summer enrollment, and eligibility for grants and loans. Waitlisted units are not considered when evaluating eligibility for summer financial aid. See Summer Aid information for more details.
- Login Cal Central and click on the My Finances tab.
- Select 2022-2023 from the drop-down menu under Financial Aid and Scholarships and click Details.
- Under "Update Housing", you can estimate your awards for Global Edge by updating your housing type to Fall Global Edge and the appropriate housing status for when you return in Spring (i.e. Residence Hall, Off Campus, Living with Relatives, etc). This will update your Cost of Attendance and your aid package accordingly so you can see how your aid package would change if you participated in Global Edge this fall.
Note: Any housing changes you report will only revise your Cost of Attendance and your Financial Aid Awards but will not release you from or commit you to a University housing contract or the Global Edge program. If you are unable to revise your housing option, you can estimate your aid using our online calculator.
- Changes to your "Housing or Pathway" option in My Finances will not commit you to Global Edge nor will it release you from Global Edge or a housing contract once you have confirmed your participation.
In some cases, more information is required and you have been offered "conditional awards." These awards are not official and are subject to change. Login to Cal Central (CalNet ID required) to review your Communications and submit all required documents and information.
Fall semester aid does not cover summer. You will need to apply for summer financial aid separately by completing the 2021-2022 FAFSA.
Students should consult with Cal Student Central and review types of aid and eligibility for both summer and fall. When the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office calculates the amount of aid offered for participation in Global Edge, they consider not only the tuition and program fee charges but also any out-of-pocket expenses students may incur during the program. The charges posted directly to your CalCentral My Finances account for the tuition and the program fee are part of the total expenses that may be incurred while abroad.
If a student requires financial aid to cover program costs, it is their responsibility to obtain confirmation in advance of any program deadlines. Inability to pay the program fee or tuition is not a valid reason to receive a refund of the fees associated with the Global Edge program.
Receive Your Awards
The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office begins disbursing financial aid to your account approximately 10 days before instruction begins each term. You may check on the status of your account and your awards by logging into CalCentral and visiting the My Finances and Financial Aid and Scholarships pages. Make sure that your Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) is active to ensure timely receipt of your funds.
UC Berkeley reserves the right to adjust awards to correct any awarding errors. Changes to qualifying information or revisions of federal, state, or institutional policy may result in updates to aid eligibility and adjustments of financial aid awards. All information is subject to change.
Dates and deadlines are subject to change.